Greece has introduced a new visa option for digital nomads or remote workers who are looking to live and work in Greece. This visa, called the Greece Digital Nomad Visa, is a type of travel authorization document that allows non-EU citizens to stay in Greece for up to 12 months and work remotely while residing in the country.
The Greece Digital Nomad Visa was established in September 2021, which was a plan agreed upon by Greece’s Ministers of Migration and Foreign Affairs. The aim of this visa is to attract foreign nomads for remote work in Greece and permanent investors to boost the country’s economy.
How do I obtain a Greece Digital Nomad Visa?
To apply for a Greece Digital Nomad Visa, applicants must first meet certain eligibility requirements, which include working for a company or clients situated outside of Greece and having a minimum income of €3,500.
Only third-country nationals, or non-EU citizens, are eligible to apply for the Greece Digital Nomad Visa. Citizens of the EU, the European Economic Area (EEA), and the Schengen Area don’t need to apply for this visa since they already enjoy the freedom of movement under the Schengen Agreement and can work in Greece without the need to apply for a visa.
Once the Greece Digital Nomad Visa is obtained, it is valid for 12 months, and applicants can extend it for an additional year, totalling a maximum of two years. Applicants can apply for this visa at the one-stop service of the Greek Ministry of Migration and Asylum if they are already in the territory of Greece. However, if they are outside of Greece, they need to apply for their visa at their local Greece Embassy or Consulate within their home country.
The cost of a Greece Digital Nomad Visa is approximately €75, and the processing time is usually less than 10 days. Applicants must also prove that they meet the financial requirements when applying for this visa. The main applicant must prove a monthly income of at least €3,500, and any dependents traveling with them will require an increased amount.
The Greece Digital Nomad Visa is an excellent opportunity for digital nomads or remote workers who are looking to live and work in Greece while enjoying the country’s beautiful scenery and rich culture.
- You work remotely for a company or have clients situated outside of Greece.
- You have a monthly income of a least €3,500.
- You are a non EU, EEA, or the Schengen Area citizen.
What do I need?
- Application form: Downloadable from the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.
- Valid passport: Must be valid for a minimum of three months after the visa expiry date.
- Two passport photos: Must be in color, taken with a white background, and have dimensions of 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm).
- Proof of employment: Must submit employment contract and a letter stating that work can be completed using communication technology.
- Cover letter: Must declare intent to apply for Greece Digital Nomad Visa and work remotely, disclose relevant job and company info, and provide financial information.
- Proof of financial means: Can be demonstrated through recent bank account statements, company account statements, job contract stating salary, or other documents.
- Proof of accommodation: Can be demonstrated through rental agreement, hotel booking, or lease.
- Valid health insurance: Must cover all costs during travel and stay in Greece.
- Valid return flight ticket: Must prove intent to return to home country after stay in Greece.
- Clean criminal record: Can be obtained from local police department.
- Medical certificate: Can be obtained from a recognized medical institution in home country.
- Application at Greek embassy – €75