Online Software Development Courses
Introduction To Software Development
Programmer. Engineer. Technician.
All of these different names for a software developer can get overwhelming.
While it’s become one of the most talked about professions over the years, there is still little understanding for what a software developer actually does.
The reason behind all of this confusion is because software development has such a wide variety of elements within it.
So what does a software developer actually do?
The best way to explain this is to have you take out your smartphone or laptop and look at your apps and programs.
Instagram. Spotify. Angry Birds. Google Drive.
They were all created by software developers. These programmers are the creative brains behind these apps and programs.
According to Rasmussen College, there are two different types of software developers. There are software app developers that focus primarily on computer and mobile apps for consumers. The developers are skilled in thinking of the needs of the customer and designing a flow that works logically. On the hand, systems software developers create operating network solutions for B2B clients. The industries that they create products for include military, medical, communications, and scientific.
Both software app and systems development are lucrative positions. They are also in high demand. From 2018 to 2028, the need for software developers is expected to grow by 21%, according to the US Bureau Of Labor.
Is Software Development Good For Online Work?
While it is common to think that all software development positions are good for online work, this is not the case.
There are many systems software developers that simply cannot work remotely. This is mainly because these developers are working on classified projects for the government, new products for the private sector, or developing solutions to help save lives in the medical world. These developers must work on private computers at an office with a secure network. These positions are important to the safety and security of the global economy and are just a few of the many ways that developers make an impact.
Software app developers, on the other hand, can work online from anywhere in the world. As long as they have a good internet connection, these developers can write code. This is one of the attractive perks of becoming a software developer. If you are skilled in what you develop, say IOS and Android apps, you can choose to work remotely for a company or you can try your hand at freelancing.
If you choose to work as a software developer for a company, you must remember that the company will expect a full working week from you. So if you want to travel and work, keep this in mind. The perks of working for a company is that there are often benefits such as health insurance or co-working fee payment.
Freelancing, on the other hand, opens you up to more possibilities, but you give up the benefits that come with working at a company. It is much easier to take on a one or two months contract and go traveling after you are finished.
Overall, if you want to work remotely, it is much better to become a software app developer.
Average Salary Of A Software Developer Working Online
Becoming a software developer is one of the best decisions you can make for your bank account.
US News & World Report ranks software developer as #1 in its “Best Jobs” ranking. According to the report, 241,500 worldwide jobs will be added by 2028. The report goes on to state that salaries for software developers have recently exploded.
In 2010, average salaries for software developers stood at $90,410 annually. By 2018, the average salary had jumped up to $108,080.
Even those just entering the field make great salaries. The bottom 25% of the profession still pulled in around $79,340 while the top 25% made $130,460. Not bad for a profession that is often made fun of for being nerdy.
While freelancers have more freedom to work on projects that they choose, this results in a drop in pay. According to CareerKarma, the average freelance software developer salary hovers around $75,430. The max pay for a freelance software developer is close to $100,000. This is why many developers choose to work for fully-remote companies. They get the great pay and benefits that comes with working for a company, while having the freedom to live abroad.
What Skills Are Companies Looking For In Software Developers?
Just like any other job, companies are looking for many different skills from technical know-how to interpersonal communication.
We’ve made a list of the top 4 skills that companies are searching for in software developer candidates:
- Communication – No matter what digital nomad job you search for, recruiters are always on the lookout for people skills. It is important for software developers to be able to communicate to their co-workers what is needed and what they are working on. This fact is only magnified when you work in a fully-remote company where communication is essential. In global companies, fluency in English is required.
- Ability To Be Coached – Whether you are a seasoned pro or fresh beginner, the ability to receive constructive criticism and build your coding skills is crucial. Software development changes constantly. So it is important to stay up-to-date on new developments in the industry, learn what they are, and implement these changes into projects. There are many certifications and online programs that companies mandate that software developers have to keep their skills fresh.
- Portfolio – As a software developer, your portfolio serves as your CV. It is your golden ticket to many jobs so it is important that it represents your best work. Many developers release their projects to open source code or create a mock project to show off their skills to potential employers. There is also GitHub. In the software development world, having GitHub is essential. You are able to build an interactive website or put up current projects so companies can see the flow to your app and how it looks.
- Industry Experience – The majority of software developers stay within a certain branch. This is because many companies only hire developers that have done projects in the same industry. In the development world, it is a benefit to know how users will use the app and what competitors have done. Sometimes companies hire developers from direct competitors and have them build a copycat program.
Software Languages That Are In High Demand For Online Work
Software development is a complex profession. This is only exacerbated by the fact that the profession has many different languages.
When companies need workers for projects, they search for developers that already have proficiency in a certain language. The level of proficiency depends on the complexity of a project.
Here’s a list of the 4 most in-demand software languages for online work:
- Java – One of the first languages created in 1991, Java is critical for Android apps. It has been a go to language for software developers for almost 30 years.
- Python – Probably the language with the coolest name, Python is extremely popular. The programming language makes code more efficient and readable. Popular apps such as Instagram, Uber, and Netflix were all built on Python.
- Ruby – Similar to Python, Ruby is easy to read and use. It also has a framework that can be added on called Rails. Apps such as Airbnb, MyFitnessPal, and Fiverr were all created with Ruby On Rails.
- Swift – One of the most well known languages, Swift is used to build iOS applications. Well known companies such as Lyft, Robinhood, and Square were all made on Swift.
Software development is a good industry to grow professionally within for many years to come. It is a popular industry with many opportunities for both systems and software app developers. Many believe that within the next few years becoming a software developer will have the same prestige as becoming a lawyer or doctor.
Whether you want to save the world through creating new apps that help combat COVID-19 or travel the world while creating unique customer experiences for online shoppers, software development allows you to go many different paths in your career.
The best part about software development is that there are so many different facets and niches to dive into. You can start learning a new language at any time and open up your professional opportunities that much more.
Not only will becoming a software developer earn you a great salary, you’ll be able to live life on your own terms. If you are considering ways to become a full-time digital nomad, learning software development skills is one of the best ways.