Since December 2021, Romania has opened its doors to digital nomads by offering a special visa designed specifically for remote workers. This Digital Nomad visa allows individuals to stay in the country for an extended period, making it an attractive option for those seeking a change of scenery and a chance to explore a new culture. In this article, we will provide you with a comprehensive guide on how to obtain the Romanian Digital Nomad Visa, its eligibility requirements, application process, and the benefits it offers.
Before diving into the application process, it’s essential to understand the eligibility criteria for the Romanian Digital Nomad Visa. Here are the key requirements you must meet.
- Work for a company registered outside of Romania: To be eligible for the visa, you must be employed by a company that is not based in Romania. This requirement ensures that the visa is specifically intended for digital nomads.
- Remote work using technology: The visa is designed for individuals who can work remotely using a laptop or computer. It is ideal for professionals in industries such as software development, digital marketing, writing, design, and other remote-friendly fields.
- Meet the income threshold: Your average earnings over the past six months must be at least three times the gross average salary in Romania. As of 2022, this amounts to approximately €3,700 per month. This requirement ensures that applicants have a stable income that can support their stay in the country.
Please note that if you are an EU/EEA citizen, you do not need to apply for the Digital Nomad Visa. Instead, you can obtain a registration certificate in Romania, which allows you to stay for up to five years.
What do I need?
- Proof of employment: This includes your work contract with a company registered outside of Romania or proof of self-employment if you are the administrator of a company registered outside of Romania for at least three years.
- Identifying details of the company: Provide information about the company, such as its name, address, tax number, and details about its legal representatives.
- Letter of intent: Explain your reasons for coming to Romania and detail the activities you plan to carry out during your stay.
- Proof of tax compliance: Submit a document showing that you have paid taxes in your country of residence and have no records of tax fraud or evasion.
- Proof of a valid ticket: Show a valid ticket to Romania or, if you plan to drive, provide your driving license, car documents, and proof of itinerary.
- Proof of valid health insurance: Your health insurance should cover the entire duration of your stay (initially 90 days) with at least €30,000 in coverage.
- Proof of earnings: Demonstrate that your average income for the past six months meets the required threshold of approximately €3,700 per month.
- Proof of accommodation: Provide a rental agreement or any other document that confirms your accommodation in Romania.
- Clean criminal record: Submit an original document with a translated version in Romanian, along with apostille or over-legalization.
- Additional documents: Be prepared to submit any other
- Application fee: €120
- Residence permit: €53
Now that you meet the eligibility criteria, let’s walk through the process of obtaining the Romanian Digital Nomad Visa.
The first step is to apply for a long-stay permit, which serves as the Digital Nomad Visa. This permit allows you to stay in Romania for up to 90 days, similar to a regular tourist visa. To apply, gather the required documents mentioned above and submit them online.
Once you have obtained the long-stay permit (Digital Nomad Visa), you can enter Romania and stay for up to 90 days. However, if you wish to extend your stay beyond the initial 90 days, you need to apply for a residence permit based on your Digital Nomad Visa. Here’s how to proceed:
Prepare the required documents: Fortunately, the documents needed for the residence permit application will largely overlap with those submitted for the long-stay permit. You will need:
- Application form: Download the application form from the official website.
- Proof of employment: Provide evidence of your ongoing employment with the company registered outside of Romania.
- Identifying details of the company: Submit the necessary details about the company you work for.
- Proof of earnings: Demonstrate that your income meets the required threshold.
- Proof of accommodation: Provide documentation that verifies your accommodation in Romania.
- Border crossing document: Present the document received upon entry into Romania.
- Proof of health insurance: Submit valid health insurance coverage for the duration of your stay.
- Doctor’s note: Obtain a note from a private clinic confirming that you do not have any diseases that pose a threat to public health.
- Proof of tax payment: Pay the required fees, including €120 for the application and 259 lei (approximately €53) for the residence permit itself.
You can submit all the required documents online through the designated platform. Ensure that you have accurately completed the application form and attached all the necessary documents.
After submitting your documents online, you will need to visit the territorial units of the immigration office in person. The website where you submitted your documents will provide you with the necessary details and instructions regarding the visit.
Apply for a Romanian Digital Nomad Visa